Friday, September 08, 2006

A Simple Test

Here’s something you can do right now to learn about your own computer. And it won’t change anything at all on your copmputer; it’s what we call a “read-only” test:

Use the Start, Run at the bottom left corner of your screen and type “Command” without the quotes. Confirm.

A Gool Old DOS window will open up. Yayaaay!

At that DOS prompt, type the following command and press enter:
xcopy c:\*.* a: /a /s /l
Watch it run.

When it finishes you’ll see a summary like this (my screen shot indicates that 20818 files are waiting to be backed up)

Now to be sure that indicates a great many Windows and Program files, but it gives you some idea of what’s waiting to be lost.

Or you could use the DIR command:
dir c:\*.* /aa /s
and get results like this:

1 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just found your blog. Thought I would do the DOS command and see what needed backing up on my drive. I got to the command window and typed in xcopy c:\*.* z: /a /s /l /t /y
when I clicked enter it said cannot perform a cyclic copy. Is this something I caused? Or do I have a problem I was unaware of?
~Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home